Summer Food Safety and Pets
Just a friendly reminder about some of the more common, higher risk summer foods our pets are exposed to this season. Below is a list of some foods or items for which we have had to treat pets this summer. Call us if your pet eats any of these or if you are uncertain about anything your pet may have consumed.
- Corn cobs are tasty and very tempting for dogs but they can cause intestinal blockage
- Grapes are toxic to the kidneys
- Rodenticide bait is often placed out in the warm weather. It effects blood clotting-very serious
- Mouldy foods from the garbage. Some moulds contain neurotoxins. Please ensure all food waste is safely stored or sealed so that pets may not break into it.
- Wooden BBQ skewers that once had food on them. These still smell like food to dogs and they may chew or ingest them whole. These can cause punctures and serious damage to the gastro-intestinal system. Watch out for these in local parks and at festivals.